Tuesday, September 7, 2010

I've been working on the Eyes of the Medusa since my last post, and now with a Brothers Grim 40K charity tournament that I've signed up for coming up in a couple weeks, I've kicked it into high gear and for once, things are actually looking pretty good two weeks out, with only Lord Horrificus, three obliterators and a predator to finish painting.
Over the weekend I added a couple more things to the Completed column. My chaos lord chaplain, his Nurgle cult of fallen space marines, and Granfaloon, the greater daemon responsible for the corruption of the once noble chapter of space marines.

Chaplain Olgein and the cult of Nurgle
The chaplain was a conversion of (I believe) the space marines captain from the Black Reach set. I added a power fist, and an arm with a crozius, distended his belly with some green stuff and added holes in the armor, and then a modified Khorne berserker head for the skull helmet. I glued sand down in patches on the armor to represent it being corroded and encrusted with filth. I sculpted some foul growths on the crozius (now a daemonic weapon) with some tentacles coming out. As a finishing touch I added a nurgling on his shoulder.

The rest of the group were converted from plague marines and space marine parts thrown together. The medusa head shoulder plates were sculpted from scratch and then molded and casted.
The rhino transport (one of the older, smaller models) had the hobby knife taken to it, and then was covered and sand and green stuff.
Everything was painted in the chapter colors (snot green/knarloc green, scorpion green, sunburst yellow) and then 'screwed up' with a brown ink wash followed by a devlan mud wash.

Granfaloon, the Eye of Madness
This guy was fun. I had done half casts of the corpse cart corpse pile with the idea of doing a wall of corpses or something equally disgusting at some point along the line, and then thought of making a ball of corpses with tentacles and an eye in the center.
Why, you might ask?
I'm sure psychiatrists have a definition for it, but the long and short is that I saw it in a video game and have wanted to make a model of it for a long time now.
As I said, I'm sure there's a term for my condition.
Regardless, once I figured out how I could do it with my new corpse pile half mold, I set about my task with gusto. The greater daemon started life as a plain cardboard christmas tree ornament from the craft store. I drilled some holes in him and threaded wire through for the tentacles then twisted more wire to make them thicker. Then I started casting my 'tiles' of corpses and gluing them all over the ball, overlapping at several points. With green stuff I sculpted the meat on the tentacles and then filled in empty spaces between the corpses. The casting compound dries white so Mrs. Carnivean had taken to calling this thing my 'big popcorn ball with tentacles' as I worked on it off and on over the past month or two.
To be honest, that was exactly what it looked like, and I was starting to get a little worried about it.
Once I spray coated it black and added the first coat of tallarn flesh/rotting flesh I could instantly see how cool it was going to look, as all the tortured bodies began to stand out in all their ghoulish glory. I did a red ink wash, followed by another coat of tallarn flesh/rotting flesh. I may go back and do more washes, but right now I'm not sure if it needs it. I did painted the eye and the tentacles, and here he is.
The fluff for this is that the daemon swathes itself in the tortured souls of those it has brought to damnation. I had wanted the greater daemon in the army to be the thing that appeared to the Eyes of the Medusa in the warp and drove them all to madness, so I knew I needed something that would be pretty horrific to look at. Originally I was going to go with something with multiple goat heads on a tentacled body, but I decided to save that look for the Jabberslythe I'm eventually going to build for my Beastman army. When I thought of doing the big corpse ball to represent him I realized that image would definitely be something that could drive people insane. I named him Granfaloon, since that was the name of the boss creature from the video game (Castlevania) that inspired me to build him.

No comments:

Post a Comment